I’m finally announcing the most requested feature on OptiMap: The ability to export itineraries easily to TomTom GPS navigation devices. GPSes are becoming standard in cars, and are invaluable to anyone who is doing deliveries or needs to visit unfamiliar locations. Those people often go to many places in a single day, and can benefit greatly from OptiMap in terms of time and gas saved.
In-car navigation systems have several advantages over printed directions:
- No need to stop and look at a map / textual directions
- You know where you are all the time
- If you make a wrong turn, you get re-routed
- No paper and ink wasted
To send directions to your TomTom device, do the following:
- Make sure you have TomTom HOME installed.
- Use OptiMap to calculate your trip as you normally would.
- A new button labeled ‘Send to TomTom’ appears above the driving directions. Click it.
- Click the ‘+TOMTOM’ button that appears in a new page. This will launch the TomTom HOME application showing the route.
- Follow instructions in the TomTom HOME application to install the itinerary on your device.
Please also note that I coded this solution completely in the dark, since I do not have a TomTom GPS. This means that I have not personally tested how the solution works on various real devices. Below is a list of devices that have been tested by various visitors of this site.
- TomTom GO 720 (itinerary download works, have not navigated route yet)
Please post a reply to this thread if you have tested devices not listed above, or if you encounter problems.